Wednesday, April 27, 2011

sugar free ideas

There is so much research lately about how bad sugar is, and not just high fructose corn syrup, but regular old sugar! Combine that with the latest research on food dyes and I'm pretty much anti-candy (I was before anyway, but this solidifies it)! Of course, my kids ate way too much candy on Easter, but they really don't eat candy otherwise. I also try to limit their general sugar intake... like sugary oatmeal, yogurt, etc. Luckily, they don't have an expectation that they are getting dessert after every meal. If they're still hungry after dinner, they can have something sweet, but I've come up with a few sugar free options and I don't mean fake sugar, just sugar free.

Last night they had the Trader Joe's greek yogurt with strawberries and honey drizzled over it - they were skeptical, but they ate some of it!

My latest favorite is a new gluten free/dairy free recipe I made up -

- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1 TBS grapeseed or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt

Mix everything together, roll into 2 inch balls and press down a little bit, bake on parchment paper at 350 for 8-10 minutes - you don't want them to get too brown. They taste just like peanut butter cookies!

Another favorite for the kids is apple slices with peanut butter dip (tablespoon of peanut butter, little bit of honey and some almond milk to thin it out)

Obviously, if kids have sugar every once in awhile, it's not a big deal. I just cringe at the kids that eat candy and drink pop everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment